Home: Big House Little KitchenAbout UsOur Big HouseOur Little KitchenContact Us

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Charred tomatoes and toast

I think the winter blues hit everyone this time of year. I know they do for me at least. I try to beat them in many ways but one of my favorite ways is cooking. A time consuming, work with your hands, create something delicious task is perfect for what I needed today. While I would much prefer to step out my back door and retrieve fresh tomatoes off the vine and fresh thyme from my herb garden, I try to enjoy those summer flavors in winter wherever I can get them. It is hard picking flavorful tomatoes in the grocery store in winter. I seem to go for on the vine, small, deeper red tomatoes. The ones I used for todays lunch are Campari tomatoes.



Charred Tomatoes and Toast
4 Campari Tomatoes-sliced
4 eggs
2 tsp fresh thyme
4 slices whole wheat bread
2 garlic cloves
olive oil
Salt & Pepper

In a cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil with one crushed clove of garlic. Make sure not to brown your garlic clove. You just want to infuse the oil. Remove the garlic after a few minutes. Brush both sides of your slices of bread with the garlic oil. Place on baking sheet and broil for a few minutes. Keep an eye on your bread, it can burn quickly.

Using the same cast iron skillet, turn the heat to medium high. Carefully place in your sliced tomatoes. They will sizzle pretty quickly. This is good. You want these babies to charr. Flip and repeat to the other side and remove the pan from heat.

In a separate nonstick skillet heat a tablespoon of oil on medium high. Cook four eggs until over-easy. Remove the bread from the oven. Use second glove of garlic and rub on toasted bread. Top the bread with your eggs and charred tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with thyme.

Breakfast foods are one of my favorites and pretty much a comfort food for me. I promise this dish doesn't disappoint…unless you don't like tomatoes and over easy eggs like my sweet husband. I nixed the tomatoes, thyme, cooked his eggs longer and added cheese on top.



This recipe was adapted from this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment